The Situation: Cengage Learning was tasked with creating content for a new office information management bachelor degree program for one of their college clients.
The Problem: The college required Cengage to use an industry professional / instructional designer with deep experience in the latest technology, virtual office management, and general office trends. Also, they wanted to ensure that the technical content was strong enough to prepare the students to take the exams for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification. Lastly, they needed the program content to be flexible enough to be delivered in classroom and online formats.
Our Solution: We worked remotely with the Cengage project manager and the client over a 3-year period to complete 11 bachelor degree courses based on the approved syllabi and coursebooks. Some of the course topics included: virtual communication management, Internet business, office technology, social media, and Web design.
We completed all of the following:
- Selected appropriate readings and created the detailed, weekly class schedule
- Developed learning objectives
- Designed activities and projects with real-world applicability that could be delivered in-person or through distance learning
- Created instructor guides and student handouts
- Selected appropriate assessment questions from the software test banks on Word®, PowerPoint®, Excel®, Outlook®, and Access®.
The Result: We create the final course materials on time. The college successfully delivered the program in classroom and online formats. And the curricula aligned with the MOS Certification standards.